Healthy Scones for our Thursday Healthy food session, members made scones with raisins and a dash of vanilla essence topped with egg to make a golden brown finish. Very tasty!
Here is the recipe:
What you need:
- 350g/12 oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 50g/2 oz Shamrock Golden Caster Sugar
- 75g/3 oz Butter or Margarine (room temperature)
- Vanilla essence
- Raspberry Jam
- Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Dust flat baking tray with flour.
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl, then stir in the sugar. Rub in butter/margarine with tips of fingers lifting ingredients to introduce air to the mix. Mixture should resemble breadcrumbs.
- Add sufficient milk to create a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured board and gently knead to remove any cracks.
- Roll out lightly to 3cm/1″ in thickness. Cut into scones with a cutter 8cm/3″ dipped in flour.
- Preheat baking sheet/tray while cutting the scones.
- Bake on upper shelf position for 10-15 mins approx until risen and golden brown.
- Cool on a wire tray. Serve with cream and jam.